Public Relations Manager
Are you a public relations superstar with a “nothing is impossible” attitude; a knack for identifying the coolest stories; deep experience working with reporters covering the education, travel, lifestyle, or business beats; and an understanding for how “good PR” can complement related IMC efforts, help build relationships, and drive sales?
Are you interested in working for a mission-driven company that operates with the mentality and speed of a startup, but has the resources of a global organization? Would you like to see the world while helping our customers do the same, as they create new opportunities for themselves through educational travel, cultural exchange, language learning, and academics? Think you could get our company flag to the International Space Station for a photo shoot? That’s something we did. And if you answered yes to any of these questions, then we’d love to get to know you!
EF Education First is seeking an experienced Public Relations Manager to work closely with its Director of Public Relations, North America to conceptualize and implement an ongoing PR program to support EF’s 18 independent business units in the U.S. and Canada. As a member of EF’s central brand team, the Public Relations Manager will support a variety of important initiatives beyond the role’s core media relations function – including setting strategic messaging and prepping our spokespeople; planning and executing public and staff events; and identifying and coordinating fun partnerships like this one with Community Boating, Inc. or this one with Sweden's Nobel Museum.
At EF, no two days are the same – and this is particularly true for the Public Relations Manager. One day you could be hosting NPR at Hult Prize in New York City before jetting off to Iceland to staff former Obama Energy Secretary and Nobel Laureate Dr. Steven Chu for our EF Global Leaders Summit. You could be traveling to Tokyo to promote EF’s Olympics programs, which will reflect our work to language train 1 million Brazilians in the lead-up to Rio 2016; you could be headed to Hong Kong to help launch the latest edition of the EF English Proficiency Index; or your destination may be the Tour de France where you’ll cheer for (and help tell stories) about our pro cycling team. Candidates lacking passports and a love of travel and cross-border collaboration need not apply!
This position is based in our beautiful new North American headquarters on the banks of the Charles River in North Point, Cambridge.
EF is the world’s largest international education company, with 52,000 team members working from 612 offices and schools in over 100 countries. For more than 50 years, EF has offered every imaginable way to see the world, experience a new culture, learn a language, or earn an academic degree. Our mission is opening the world through education. In practice, that means helping the students, educators, and travelers who embark on an EF program build relationships across borders and cultures and spark mutual understanding. It’s a mission that feels incredibly relevant right now.
But it’s easy for us to tell you who we think we are, so here are a few articles about our company and company culture to help you understand us even better:
- Here is a Boston Globe profile on our Founder Bertil Hult and the history of EF.
- Or you can read what our Co-Chairman Philip Hult had to say about EF’s unique corporate culture in the New York Times.
- Fast Company checked out our culture book before proclaiming: “Behold! Someone Made an Employee Manual You’ll Actually Want to Read.”
- Last year, we landed a spot on Fortune’s “Change the World”, and the year before, the Massachusetts Technology Leadership Collaborative awarded us its “Building a Better Workforce” nod.
- And we’ve consistently landed in a top spot on the Globe’s annual Top Places to Work list. Here’s what they said about us when we took #1 in our first year.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Passionate about education, experiential learning, travel, and cultural exchange
- Deadline-driven, multi-tasker who can prioritize and execute with minimal supervision while working in a highly entrepreneurial, ever-evolving business environment.
- Creative problem solver and motivated self-starter (think “Activator” and “Achiever” in Clifton StrengthsFinder vernacular).
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, liberal arts or a related field of study.
- 5 – 6 years of experience in strategic media relations or journalism.
- A passion for media relations and a track record of building relationships and securing placements.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills, including experience writing pitches, press releases, talking points, and briefing materials.
- Ability to set and execute strategy – from media list building to staffing senior executive interviews
- Experience with event planning and management is a plus.
Apply on company site here: http://bit.ly/2HEa4Nx